Tool of my Father


My family and I went out on an Orienteering Course this weekend. I have never done this before and not even sure that is what it is called. I will say it was fun and we all enjoyed it. We were at Pocahontas State Park. We had a map warm clothes, the wrong shoes for the soggy ground and my father's pocket transit.

The instructions said to orientate our map once we got to the starting point with a compass. So I pulled out the transit and much to my surprise east was on the left side and west was on the right. I had spent my whole life thinking I lived on the east cost of America, apparently I was wrong. Or I had no idea how to read this thing. Turned out to be the later.

Turns out transits are direct read devices unlike the compasses I had used all my life. I had always found this to be an interesting device with its dials, levels, sights and whatever all the other bits a pieces are. Now that I have looked up why they put the letters in the wrong place I am even more fascinated by it. I intend to figure out how all, or at least most, of its features work and shar it with my son.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meadow Farm

River Adjacent

New Orleans