Back to black and white FAIL

I have shot these buildings before and find they lend themselves to black and white processing. I really like the texture of this shed and the angles.


Kit: Nikon18-200mm Lens on Nikon D5100

For the images below I wanted to incorporate the the lines of the fence leading back to the buildings. I am not sure I got the best perspective but I like what I got. I like the fire hydrant in the scene of the old rustic buildings, I had it in a past post as well. In years past I would have tried to avoid the hydrant to give the illusion of a farm from before modern times. Now I like the juxtaposition and not keeping modern human elements out of the nature they are also apart of.

Originally I didn't like the composition of this last image. I thought the fence was crowding the bottom of the frame and I should of gotten the shot from a higher angle. I did like the tones and the composition of the elements in the back of the frame. The more I looked at it the more I liked the image. Of course this could change at any any moment, but for now I like it.

It took me this long to fail at my attempted to only do back and white images.

One contributing factor to this failure was the shots I took of the off white/yellowish building. Between the off white and the clouds I wasn't getting the contrast and depth I wanted. I did like like the compositions so I couldn't just abandon them. Also Tone Fuentes had some good color presets on his YouTube channel as well. I am finding these presets are good for getting the editing process started and getting past the "blank canvas complex" or just not knowing where to start with and image.

I did post a black and white shot of this tobacco barn in a previous post. I like this composition from farther away and thought these colors worked well.





I keep revisiting this field, I still don't think I have gotten the image I want from it but I did like this sign so I took another shot. (previous image)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meadow Farm

River Adjacent

New Orleans